Q: When is the symposium?
A: July 27-29, 2018
Q: Where is it taking place?
A: The Hartford Marriott and Hartford Convention Center
Q: What airport should I fly into?
A: Bradley Airport (BDL)
Q: How far is the airport from the hotel?
A: It is about 30-45 minutes from the hotel depending on traffic.
Q: What time should I arrive and what day?
A: All programs should plan to arrive by 12pm on Friday 7/27/18 to allow enough time to register prior to an informal networking lunch at the Convention Center scheduled to from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM. Cohorts that would otherwise be unable to arrive in time for the official start of the program at 3pm on Friday should contact the Executive Office to arrange for early arrival on Thursday.
Q: Who makes the travel arrangements?
A: Coordinators will be responsible for making travel arrangements for their undergraduate participants, program staff, and guests. All participants should seek the most cost-effective mode of transportation and book travel early to obtain best fares/rates.
Q: How do I get to the hotel from the airport?
A: The Alliance will provide a shuttle only on Friday, July 27 to the hotel beginning in the morning with the last shuttle departing BDL at 2pm. There will be a shuttle returning to the airport on Sunday, July 30, departing at 1pm from the hotel.
Q: What if I arrive and leave before or later then when the shuttle is available?
A: We recommend that you utilize the following services:
- Airport Express Limo LLC – $50 one way to/from Bradley to Hartford
- CT transit Bradley Flyer #30 $1.75 one way
Q: How do I make my hotel reservation?
- Group Reservations: Coordinators making reservations for their group, this includes faculty, graduate students, undergraduates and anyone else attending LANS from your institution. Remember, all undergraduates and graduate students (same gender) share a room.
- Individual reservations: Coordinators or invited guests (administrators, Doctoral Scholars, speakers, exhibitors, anyone not traveling with a summer cohort) can make their single room reservation by clicking on the following link: Hotel Reservation Link
Q: Whom do I send the group reservation sheet to?
A: Email the completed excel form to Maria_DoVale@brown.edu. Group reservations will be uploaded once a week.
Q: How much is registration?
- SR-EIP designated students are $250
- Non-SR-EIP students are $850
- Graduate Students working with summer cohort $250
- Complimentary Registration:
- Invited faculty, doctoral scholars, and graduate students
- Family and friends of student participants may attend the oral and poster presentations. (This complimentary registration precludes access to meals. Hotel room not included.)
Q: When can I register?
A: Registration opens May 1, 2018. Here is the link: LANS Registration Link
Q: What are the other deadlines?
- Online registration opens for everyone: May 1-July 6. Click here to register.
- Submit Presentation title/application: May 1-July 6
- Deadline to approve title/application by coordinator: July 6
- Submit Presentation Abstract: May 1 – July 13
Q: When will the Executive Office bill for LANS registration fees?
A: The Leadership Alliance Executive Office will send coordinators a worksheet by July 6 listing SR-EIP designated undergraduates and other approved participants for LANS. Coordinators will provide remaining participants and calculate registration fees and provide contact information for billing.
Q: When is this worksheet due back to the Executive Office?
A: This document should be returned to the Executive Office to the attention of Maria DoVale (Maria_DoVale@brown.edu) by August 3. Invoices for participant registration fees will be sent to the designated billing contacts at Alliance institutions with payment in full due by September 28.
Q: Can LANS registration fees be paid by credit card?
A: You are able to pay registration fees online by credit card the same way you are able to pay Alliance membership fees. You may contact Maria DoVale if you wish to pay online and she will provide the web link and reference number to complete your payment process. Otherwise, you may continue to pay by check through your accounting department. For directions on how to pay online click here.
Q: How many students can do an oral presentation or poster?
A: There is room for 238 oral presentations and 120 posters.
Q: How long does each student have for the oral presentation?
A: Each student is given 15 minutes. Ten minutes for presentation five minutes for Q&A.
Q: How long is the poster session?
A: It is 90 minutes.
Q: Will the Leadership Alliance reimburse me/us?
- Individual – travel reimbursement requests should be submitted via email to the Executive Office no later than September 28, 2018, to ensure payment. (Send to Attn: Maria DoVale, Maria_DoVale@brown.edu)
- Institutional – reimbursement requests for summer research cohort travel should be submitted on institutional letterhead along with appropriate documentation of expenses.
Also, the accounting department requires everyone to complete the supplier/vendor form via this secure link. Not covered are any meals, early boarding, luggage or trip insurance fees. Travelers should email Maria_DoVale@brown.edu their scanned original travel receipts before September 28. The Alliance is unable to reimburse expenses without a receipt. Credit card statements may not be submitted in lieu of lost receipts.
If you have further questions, you may find more answers by clicking here. If you have a more specific question(s) you may contact Maria DoVale via email, Maria_DoVale@brown.edu.